A story of Deep South segregation in the 1960's, The Help blows the doors off of the relationships between housewives and their help, between "colored" people and "white" people. It is written in a style that makes you feel like you are sitting at the kitchen table with these women, just chatting about the day. Such an excellent book.
This was the first book that I read on my Kindle (which I LOVE, by the way). I love that the Kindle underlines the lines that other readers have "highlighted." Its always the lines that you have to read again and again in order to fully wrap your mind around what the author is saying, the lines that have such a stroke of literary genius that it just makes you say, "wow." I absolutely loved this line:
Wasn't that the point of the book? For women to realize, We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I'd thought.It summed up the entire novel in one line. Summed up a lot of the issues between races in the country. I just loved it.
Moral of the story: run to your library or bookstore, download this onto your e-reader. You must read this book. You must laugh and cry as you get sucked into the world of Jackson, Mississipi, and three of its lovable residents-- Miss Skeeter, Aibileen and Minny.....especially Minny.


0 comments:
Post a Comment